As we enter the toddler phase of Jaxson's life, it is becoming more apparent that a TIME OUT is needed...not for him, but for his parents! Becoming parents was life changing for my husband and I, as I am sure it is for most. With everything we went through to get him here and healthy, its truly been a whirlwind. When Jaxson was born prematurely, my husband and I were still newlyweds. Honestly we never had the chance to stay in "newlywed bliss", we actually didn't get a chance to take a honeymoon either! In lieu of that, we thought to have a baby moon which we were planning around the time I went into pre-term labor. Then of course Jaxson was born and there was no way we were going on vacation while he was in the NICU. The first year of him being home was filled with appointments, physical therapy and weaning off of oxygen and meds. Hubby and I would carve out time here and there to go on quick dates while my mom or mom in love watched Jaxson for up to 2-3 hours. FUN FACT: Before we got married we had date night EVERY Sunday! It was so refreshing and fun for us. SO becoming parents IMMEDIATELY and facing our situation caused our dating while married life to be put on hold.
Fast forward to almost 2 years into parenthood and we have FINALLY said OK, we really need to get intentional about our marriage. Jaxson is the center of our world and we have to find the balance between having a good marriage and being great parents as well. It took courage and tunnel vision to take our first TIME OUT, but we did it! My husband and I left Jaxson overnight for the first time in April when he was 21 months! We had a 24 hour staycation to celebrate our 2nd wedding Anniversary. We couldn't believe how awesome it felt to just do us and Jaxson did really well with us being away. Of course we missed him tons and talked about him often, but it also felt good to spend quality time together. Since April we have gone away 2 more times or 24 hours and each time its hard to leave him yet so incredible! My mom has taken care of Jaxson for us and its been such a great help. We always come back feeling refreshed and restored.
So here are a 8 tips for taking a TIME OUT with your Spouse:
- Just do it! Don't overthink. Pick a place and a few activities and GO!
- Pick someone that you and your little one is familiar with. They should be responsible and trustworthy.
- Write out your child's schedule/routine including what they should eat for meals, snacks & drink. It's important to keep the same flow so your child isn't surprised or feeling out of their comfort zone.
- Go over Emergency procedures. I find that refreshing your sitter with what to do in case of Emergency is helpful.
- If you are going away for 1-2 days, prior to leaving try to do something fun and extra special with your child. By doing this, I know that I've deposited in extra time and love to Jaxson which soften's the fact that we are leaving for a little bit.
- Don't be afraid to call/text and check in to see how your little one is doing. It will ease your mind and allow you to stay in the loop of what's going on while your away.
- Try to relax and enjoy yourself! There is nothing wrong with taking a TIME OUT from being Super Parents! Going away and coming back will give you ALL a greater appreciation for each other!